further Timeguns and a timeball
The old gun is fired from the Lotrscak Kula (left).
In the 19th century a fourth floor and windows were added to the Tower of Lotrscak and a canon was placed on the top.
The canon has been fired every day at noon since then.
Pregnant women are warned not to go near it at that time.
Sydney's one oclock time gun is in Fort Denison. The Fort is named after the Governor of New South Wales at the time and built between 1855 and 1857 to defend Sydney during the Crimean war
The island was manned by the British Royal Artillery until 1869 when the New South Wales Naval Brigade took over the watch tower. By the 1870's the fort was abandoned as a military installation.
The One O'clock Gun was used to assist navigation of sea-going vessels and was fired everyday so sailors could set their ship's chronometers correctly. The firing of the gun ceased during World War II but resumed again in 1986.
The Sydney Time Ball.
Captain Robert Wauchope a Naval Officer suggested the concept of a time ball in 1818. In 1833 the Captain introduce the idea of a time ball at Greenwich Observatory.
The idea for Time Balls dates back to 1818 when a royal naval officer, Captain Robert Wauchope suggested that one should be set up on the Thames, so that sailing vessels could set their chronometers (a very accurate watch that mariners used to aid navigation). In 1833 the Captain further suggested to the Admiralty that a Time Ball should be built at Greenwich Observatory on the side of the River Thames.
If there was a natural to place for a time a gun it would be Dundee. With its extensive sea trade, Whaling and exploration a time setter was at the time of its use paramount.
Gilleen, is situated in that part of Ireland where the sea has been dominant in daily lives for generations.
It faces on one side the Bay of the Roarin Water and on the other that infamous sight for those crossing the Atlantic the Fasnet Rock.
Both a danger at any time of the year to the inexperienced navigator.
The Spanish Armada in 1588 was driven from its true course by violent storms towards the west coast of Ireland. A few of the 130 ships blundered into the Bay and rocks to settle in the tides.
A Spanish cannon was among the Cargo saved by local fisherman and placed to rear of the chapel. Where it lay harmless in the green Irish grass for decades.
Monsignor Paddy O'Teath after watching a ship of emigrants flounder on its way to America decided something had to be done. In 1847 on 1st April he placed the restored cannon on a prevailing hill to fire at the change of tide as a warning. In later times it would be fired to allow correction of ships chronometers.
For a period it was also used by local poteen distillers to warn of the arrival of the Revenue (customs) and the start of the annual Puck Fayre but this was found to cause great confusion amongst the population.
When, in 1927, modern methods of navigation and timekeeping made the time cannon inefficient, It was paced at the back of the chapel for the last time in the green grass. Some say it is not the original cannon, but for sure it is Spanish.
|Edinburgh's One o'clock Gun
||Travels with the 'twa